Monday, April 21, 2008

Together for the Gospel 08

Conferences can be good or bad. State the obvious, why don’t I? At any rate, I’ve been to a few that weren’t edifying for a whole host of reasons. But I’ve been to many that have been rich beyond measure. This past week the Together for The Gospel conference was rich beyond measure. Everything from the preaching to the singing to the fellowship made for a very spiritually enriching time. And to make it even better I was able to enjoy it all with my wife Sherry and my two dear friends Dave and Cheryl. What more could a brother ask for?

But you know, God has a way of going above and beyond all we can think of and or ask, right? And this conference was no exception. You see, I expected to enjoy the preaching. How could I not with the likes of MacArthur, Sproul, Piper, and the other gifted men. I expected to be blessed by the singing. How could I not as I joined my voice with 5,500 other passionate pastors and church leaders singing God’s praise. And of course I expected to enjoy time with my wife away from the privileged demands of ministry and parenthood. How could I not – she’s the greatest wife on the planet. And I haven’t even mentioned the free books! O’ yes, many, many free books. But with all that God still went beyond my expectations.

In His kind providences, I ran in to several of my friends from my seminary days at TMS. It was special to see these guys again, but to my joyful benefit each of my old friends ministered to my wife and me in ways that I can hardly express. It was as if God Himself deliberately appointed a meeting with these men who each had a timely word for us. What do I mean “as if”; of course it was God’s doing! He spoke to us through them. He spoke to us about ministry, marriage, parenting, and the need to stay the course. And all I was left with was to ask myself and God the question, “Who am I that I should have friends such as Justin Erickson, David Fry, Art Georges, Ray Mehringer, and John Richards?” These men served, cared for, and encouraged my soul far beyond what I expected and even further beyond what I deserve.

Yea, some conferences are really good. The T4G 08 will go down as probably the best ever. Thank you brothers for being my friend. Thank you brothers for being Together for the Gospel!

No comments:

Post a Comment