Monday, March 24, 2008

The Glory of Easter

The more I gather with God’s people on the Lord’s Day the more I long for heaven. And the more I long for heaven the more I lose interest in the mundane things of this world. This fact was reinforced in my soul with great power on yesterday as I had the privilege to lead God’s people in worship on Resurrection Sunday.

With all the ancillary activities associated with the Day, as we sang songs that reminded us of the reality that Jesus is alive and that He reigns, for a brief moment which felt endless, everything other than the glory of God faded from my heart’s attention. I was there. You know; that place. The place that is almost indescribably vivid to the soul – the place where the presence of God is so real and heavy that you rejoice with trembling because you’re acutely aware of the Divine.

That’s where I was yesterday. Jesus Christ had risen afresh in my heart, and I was awestruck with His loveliness, beauty, and humility. And as I preached from Mark’s gospel meditating on all that Jesus endured for unworthy sinners my heart pounded from a mixture of sorrow & happiness – sorrow because of His sufferings and happiness because of His submission. O’ that He voluntarily submitted to betrayal, denial, beatings, mocking, rejection, accusations, abandonment, condemnation, crucifixion, and forsakenness – and all for Me, the most unworthy sinner of all. My heart was overwhelmed with pure love and admiration for my God and King.

Yes, it was a great day. Jesus is risen; He is risen indeed! I only fear that the glory is fading from my face having beheld Him in His word, and now fighting back the encroaching cares of this fleeting age, I so want to remain in that place. Maranatha! Come Lord Jesus, and may it be soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment